Classic red velvet cake is turned into a baked donut! These Red Velvet Donuts with Cream Cheese Icing are the perfect breakfast to make this Valentine’s Day!
Happy Valentine‘s Day everyone! I’m a day early I know, but I will be off to Savannah, GA tomorrow morning for a weekend getaway (any food recs for me??) so I wanted to send you sweet wishes today! And also give you an idea of what to make for a special Valentine’s Day breakfast – Red Velvet Donuts with Cream Cheese Icing. Because nothing says I Love You like homemade donuts 🙂
As you probably know by now, I love making baked donuts – and I can’t let a holiday pass without making a donut to celebrate! They are just so easy to make, so fun to decorate, and so delicious to eat!
Since we are out of town this weekend, I made our Valentine’s breakfast last Saturday. It was cold and snowy and so cozy in NYC. I tried to capture the huge snowflakes outside our window in this picture:
How appropriate that I am posting a red velvet recipe the day before I head off to the south! I could be wrong on this, but I definitely associate red velvet cake with southern food.
These red velvet donuts are light and fluffy and have a great chocolate flavor from the cocoa powder. I used red food coloring to achieve the gorgeous red color. I’m not a huge fan of food coloring, but occasionally I just can’t resist making a little red velvet!
Any good red velvet recipe must have cream cheese icing, so I slathered these with delicious cream cheese icing, and then finished them off with Valentine’s Day sprinkles!!! If you are making these another time of year, you could use chocolate sprinkles, mini chocolate chips or even leave off the sprinkles. Or another fun idea is to take one donut and crumble it up, and use donut crumbs to decorate the icing!
These are the perfect breakfast to make for your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day! They are delicious and festive and they look impressive, yet are super simple to make. Hope everyone has a great weekend and a happy Valentine’s Day!
Classic red velvet cake is turned into a baked donut! These Red Velvet Donuts with Cream Cheese Icing are the perfect breakfast to make this Valentine's Day!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- dash salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray two six-cavity donut pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a liquid measuring cup, stir together milk and vinegar and let it sit for a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk together butter, brown sugar, and egg until very well combined, at least a minute. Add vanilla and milk/vinegar mixture and whisk until combined. Stir in the red food coloring.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined - do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan, filling each cavity 2/3 full. Bake for 7-8 minutes. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for a minute, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat together the cream cheese, cream, 1 T milk, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and salt until well combined and totally smooth. Add more sugar or milk until desired consistency and flavor is reached. Ice donuts and decorate with sprinkles as desired.
All the red velvet things!
Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies
Caramel Stuffed Red Velvet Cookies
Connect with Chez CateyLou!
Julie @ Tastes of Lizzy T says
First of all, these are so cute. Second of all Red Velvet + Donut = Happiness!
Melanie @ Carmel Moments says
These are gorgeous! I don’t spend near enough kitchen time making donuts. That totally needs to change after seeing these! So yummy!
Happy Valentine’s day friend!
This looks like a very tasty combination! I am looking forward to trying these out soon. Thanks for sharing!
Deb @ Cooking on the Front Burner says
Love these donuts especially the frosting! Great Valentine’s treat!
Tonia from TheGunnySack says
I haven’t met a doughnut yet that I don’t love! These are so cute for Valentine’s Day!
Miranda @ Cookie Dough & Oven Mitt says
I love these adorable donuts! I love any donuts for that matter, but these with their deep red color and festive little sprinkles have me swooning! They are almost too cute to eat.
Melanie | Melanie Makes says
Not only do they sound delicious – they’re absolutely adorable!
Heather | girlichef says
I want red velvet all the things, starting with these! So cute.
These are so fun! Perfect for Valentines day! Hope you have a nice trip!
I agree – nothing says love like doughnuts! I love how adorable and delicious these look. They’re perfect for my red velvet loving family !
Nora (A Clean Bake) says
Hooray for all things red velvet! I love the color and texture of these, and really what doesn’t taste better as a doughnut?
Nutmeg Nanny says
These are so cute! They are perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files says
I just started making donuts and I am hooked! Plus red velvet is my weakness so these are happening!
Megan - The Emotional Baker says
These are possibly the best donuts I’ve ever seen! I love any and everything red velvet 😉