Guinness Stout beer in the batter and the icing really makes the chocolate flavor shine in these baked donuts. Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day breakfast!
Who wants Guinness for breakfast?! Ok I know, it sounds kind of weird. And I felt strange cracking open a beer at 8am. But let me tell you – it tastes amazing in these donuts! You can’t really taste beer, it just brings out the chocolate flavor. And, I can’t think of a better way to celebrate St. Patrick’s day than with Guinness and sprinkles.
When my friend Connie over at URBAN BAKES invited me to her #KissMeImIrish St. Patrick’s Day blog party, I was so in! 12 of us made fun St. Patrick’s Day treats for you – and they all include alcohol! That was actually a total coincidence – great minds think alike. Links to all the delicious recipes are at the bottom of the post, so make sure to check them out.
I’m really into the St. Patrick’s Day recipes, if you couldn’t tell. Bailey’s Irish Cream Cheesecake Brownies. Funfetti Cookies. Irish Soda Bread. But one thing is missing from the list…Guinness! What is more Irish than a nice glass of Guinness stout? So of course I had to make something using this delicious Irish beer. Last year I made Irish Brown Bread with Guinness (and it is a great recipe, by the way!) so I knew that this year I wanted to go the sweet route, with baked donuts!
Now if you’re hesitating to put beer in your breakfast, let me try to convince you. You know how people say to add coffee to chocolate recipes, because it brings out the chocolate flavor? I think that is one of Ina Garten’s favorite lines! Well, Guinness does the same thing!! It makes the chocolate taste richer. You can taste the Guinness as well, as a slight background flavor, and it tastes amazing. And don’t worry, the alcohol cooks off in the oven!
Now of course I couldn’t just make a normal chocolate icing – I had to put some Guinness in there! This is St. Patrick’s Day after all, and these are Guinness Stout Chocolate Donuts – so I had to maximize the Guinness!!
While the alcohol in the donut might cook off, the alcohol in the icing sure does not. Which is a good thing for some!! However if you aren’t into a boozy breakfast, you can substitute coffee, milk, or cream. You just need a liquid to thin out the icing a bit.
There are 11 other amazing recipes at the bottom of the post, so make sure to check them out. It will surely get you in the St. Patrick’s day spirit!
1. URBAN BAKES – Sweet & Salty Boozy Irish Truffle Cake
2. Baking a Moment – Irish Cream Profiteroles
3. The Cheery Baker – Baileys Mint Chocolate Poke Cake
4. Grandbaby Cakes – #KissMeImIrish Baileys Mint Chocolate Cream Pie
5. bethcakes – Irish Car Bomb Cake
6. gotta get baked – Chocolate Baileys Cheesecake
7. Jessiker Bakes – #KissMeImIrish Guinness Chocolate Cake
8. Blahnik Baker – Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Whiskey Caramel and Baileys Buttercream
9. Bakes In Slippers – Guinness Chocolate Stout Milkshake
10. Chez CateyLou- Guinness Stout Chocolate Donuts #KissMeImIrish
11. House of Bakes – Drunken Blondie